11.11.1800 – 08.12.1875
Russian historian Slavicist, collector, journalist, writer, professor of Russian history at Moscow University (1826 – 1844) and academician at the St Petersburg Academy of Sciences (1941). Publisher of Moskvityanin Journal (1841 – 1856).
July 30/August 11, 1855 – June 23/July 8, 1905
Polikhroniy Syrku was born on July 30/August 11, 1855 in the village of Straseni, Chisinau County of Bessarabia Governorate (guberniya), in the family of Romanians Evgenia Georgieva and Agapiy Andreevich Syrku. He studied at the parish school at the Capriana Monastery, which is a convent of the Bulgarian Zograf Monastery at Mount Athos, and as a child he learned Bulgarian and Greek. In 1866, the boy met Georgi Rakovski at the monastery.
April 30/May 12, 1815 – December 19/31, 1876
Slavicist, philologist, historian, first dean of the Faculty of History and Philology of Odessa University (1865–1876), corresponding member of St Petersburg Academy of Sciences (1851), honorary member of Moscow University (1876).
Bibliophile, bibliographer, scholar, historian, corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences, creator of the first free public library and museum in Moscow. He was elected a member of Imperial Society of History and Russian Antiquities.